June 9, 2009

fresh at last!



It has been an atrociously long time since I last cooked or wrote, but you may blame the taxing needs of young Mexican children running about the disorderly charter school where I teach.

The summer has begun with two wonderful things: a huge sigh of relief (anyone who thinks teachers have an absurd amount of time off should spend a single hour in a classroom) and my first harvest from my fecund veggie/herb garden!

A solitary banana pepper, pale and pendulous, hung from a rather spindly green plant, and I watched it devotedly for weeks until it almost fell off in my hand. Then I split it open, cut it into tiny slivers, and spread it on a grilled turkey-and-cheese sandwich. Its flavor was crisp, light, and ever so delicate, and my mouth sang!

Then, a week later, another jewel: a firm jalapeno, ripe and dying to dive into a vat of salsa (as soon as tomatoes are ready). It is now waiting with the shallots and garlic near my stove.

*Sidenote: Tomorrow Daniel and I leave for an extraordinary trip, one governed entirely by food. Many colorful blogs to come.

No comments: